A New Book Cover for the Australian Version of THE RULES OF INHERITANCE

The lovely people at Text Publishing in Australia have designed a completely new cover for THE RULES OF INHERITANCE and I love it! Every time I look at it I get a little teary. My mother is going to be on the cover of my book. I cannot even express how that makes me feel. I can’t think of a more beautiful way to honor the person I miss most in the entire world.

I still remember the first time I saw this photo. I was about twenty years old and my Aunt Pam pulled it out of a box that she’d had in a closet on Cape Cod, along with about three dozen other cool black and whites of my mother. This one in particular really struck me though. At the time when I first saw it I actually had the exact same haircut, and it was probably the most similar my mother and I have ever looked. It was like staring into a mirror and I’ve had this photo on the wall of every house I’ve lived in since that day.

Over and over I return to the conundrum that publishing this book presents. I want so badly to be able to show it to my parents, to hand them a copy, to say Mom, Dad, look what I did. Look, mom, you’re on the cover. But I can’t. And I can’t because the only reason this book exists is because they are gone.

But to imagine an ordinary stranger walking into a bookstore in Melbourne or Sydney and picking up a copy of this book and gazing down at this photo of my mother, quenches just a little bit of that ache inside of me. That my mother and father might live on in this way, that other people might love them a little bit and think about them a little bit, is more than I ever could have asked for.

• Posted November 17, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

That is a fantastic cover. Congratulations!

• Posted November 17, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Beautiful cover. And I can’t wait to walk into a bookstore in Melbourne or Sydney to pick up a book with this cover.

• Lyssa
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

What you’re doing is amazing!

• Posted November 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Stunning cover…serene beauty and a beckoning to engage with her comes through.

• Carolyn
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

This is so cool. What a beautiful choice for an alternate cover. I love the US cover as well, but would love to find a way to get a copy with the Australian cover. Either way, I can’t wait to read the book!

• Posted November 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

That is wonderful that her face will be worldwide. Why do they make alternate covers?

• Lori Williams
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

I love this Claire – it’s perfect.

• Ellie
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:35 am | Permalink

So beautifully expressed Claire, as always. I cannot wait to walk into a bookstore in Sydney (or maybe even Newcastle, closer to my place) and see it!!

• Wendy
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

What a lovely, lovely way to honor the memory of your mother. It is a striking photo.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Wendy!

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Oh, thanks Ellie! You’ll have to take a photo of it in a bookstore for me!!

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Lori, you commented! Glad you like the cover! xx

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Liz! Every publishing house is completely independent. Penguin designed the cover for the US version but Text (or any other country that buys the foreign rights) can do pretty much anything they want with the book. In some cases they can even change the title if it doesn’t work well when translated. It’s fun though — I get to work with two amazing publishing houses who are both dedicated to putting so much great energy behind the book. I feel incredibly lucky!

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Carolyn! It might be possible to order it online from an AU publishing website — the shipping costs might be expensive though.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Amber! I love it too.

• Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Sophie, you have to take a photo of it in the bookstore for me!!

• Emma
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

That’s perfect Claire but I will have to buy two copies so one doesn’t get destroyed – the extract you posted was brilliant and I cannot wait to have your book in my collection and to meet in you in person here in Australia!

• Ellie
    Posted November 20, 2011 at 12:22 am | Permalink

I will definitely take a photo for you Claire! And maybe if I spot one I can pick one up and send it to Carolyn – just a thought :)

• Kaye
    Posted November 21, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

OMG……. I can’t wait to get my hands on my copy, Claire. I just came across two pictures I made of you and your Mother in the Summer of ’96. I’ll get them in the the mail to you soon. I need your address. Love, Kaye

• Posted November 21, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Aw, thanks Kaye! I’ll email you…xx

• Jane
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Claire, I’ve been a long time reader of your blog and coming from Australia I just had to say firstly congratulations on your book and secondly I will definitely be on the lookout for this beautiful cover when it hits stores down here.
    All the best
    Jane

• Posted November 23, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Stunning cover…and stunning refection about the cover, Claire. Congratulations on all these incredible milestones!

• Posted November 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Tre! Can’t wait to see you writing similar posts!

• Posted November 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Jane! Send me a photo of it in a bookstore when you see it!

• Susannah
    Posted May 2, 2012 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Hi Claire, I have just finished reading The Rules of Inheritance and loved it. It was so beautifully written and I cried a number of times while reading. I’m in Melbourne so my copy has the lovely alternate cover. I’ve been reading while breastfeeding my daughter and she has been fascinated by the pic of your beautiful mum.

When are you coming to Australia? I’ve been a reader of your blog since it was Life in LA and would love to come along to any Rules of Inheritance events happening in Melbourne :)

• Posted May 2, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Thank you, Susannah! I’ll be in Melbourne the very first few days of September. Stay tuned for more details about where/when, etc. So glad you enjoyed the book! Hope we get to meet! xo