Love Affair

Can I just say that I'm having a love affair with my kid?

DSC_6892

I know, I know. You're rolling your eyes. But seriously, I've been falling in love with my daughter a little more every day lately.

Greg has been too.

DSC_6069

In those first early days after she was born, when I spent hours laying in bed watching her sleep, I thought that I couldn't possibly love her more than I did in that moment, but over the last 21 months I have continued to fall for her, over and over, deeper and deeper.

DSC_5942

A lot of my friends without kids shake their heads when they hear me describe all the ways my life has changed since having her. Never sleeping in past 7AM, waking up sometimes multiple times in the night. Never having a moment to relax. Being exhausted all the time. Not being able to really stay out late or drink too much or travel anymore.

I think that's all I saw before I had kids too. My friends going over this waterfall into endless responsiblity and seeming misery.

DSC_6718

But there's one thing they always said to me, after they'd finished telling me all the million, horrible, little ways their lives had changed, and it's the same thing I say to my friends now: The sheer amount of love I experience as a mother completely outweighs anything about my old life that I sometimes miss.

DSC_6783

Compared with the lack of love and family I had in my life for a certain period of time in my twenties, I am now flush with it. And I couldn't be more grateful.

DSC_5874

Not tired of the endless photos I keep taking? I just put up a bunch more in my spring Flickr album.

• Posted March 24, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

She’s gorgeous and you and Greg radiate with your love for her. Beautiful pics and moments that you captured. Your eye for photography is quite talented.

• Lyssa Bramson
    Posted March 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

On the contrary, hearing you talk about V makes me excited to have my own children one day!

• Carroll
    Posted March 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

The one with the shoes!!!

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:07 am | Permalink

So, so, so true!! I’m loving the shoe pic! Neat angle!

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 2:13 am | Permalink

V has such a lovely, cheery smile.
    I was talking to my own mother about becoming a mother earlier today. She was telling me about all the compromises one has to make, but how they’re all very much worth it. (Lucky she said that really, I might have been offended had she not!)
    The three of you look like you have such a wonderful time together. And she’s growing up so quickly!

• Liz
    Posted March 25, 2011 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this post! I am now five months along with my first (a little girl!) and have many a moment where I wonder what my life will be like by the end of the summer. It all just seems surreal to me still. I’m a night owl and really love my sleep, so I think I worry about feeling like a zombie the most, lol! I’m worried that I’m going to miss my freedom since my husband and I have been married for 10 years and know no other way of life. I must say, though, you make motherhood look pretty good! Enjoy spring in Chicago with your little one!

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Yay, a little girl!! So exciting! Oh, I was so worried all through my pregnancy about becoming a mother. It just happens though and I hope its just as wonderful for you as it has been for me.

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Aw, thank you! What a nice conversation to be able to have with your mom.

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Thanks!! She is ALWAYS putting on our shoes. Its really cute.

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

She is ALWAYS putting on our shoes. Its so ridiculously cute.

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Oh, good! You guys should totally procreate. 🙂

• Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Aw, thanks! Im having SO much fun taking pictures. Cant wait to take some of you and Nora soon!

• Posted March 27, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Good for you…and it’s so good for her. My daughter feels that way about her two little boys and as a grandmother, I feel better knowing there are such good parents loving their children and those children will make the world a better place because they were so loved. Continue to be a good example and show people that having children is joyous because it it!

• Posted March 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Aw, thanks! What a nice comment!

• Angela