I really appreciated everyone's comments last week on finding balance, and whether or not it's important or possible, or even the point. Kind of along those lines I came across these ten rules for life the other day, and thought I would share them here. I especially like #6, and think that's one I probably need to read out loud to myself every day.
1. You will receive a body.You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your time on Earth.
2. You will learn lessons.…You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called “life.” Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or hate them, but you have designed them as part of your curriculum.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error: experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works.”
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning does not end.There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. “THERE” is no better than “HERE.”When your “there” has become a “here,” you will simply obtain another “there” that will again look better than “here.”
7. Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself. Each reflection is an opportunity for growth.
8. What you make of your life is up to you.You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie inside of you.The answers to Life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust.
10. You will forget all of this at birth!You can remember it whenever you want.