My (Really) Big News

I can hardly believe that I am about to type the following sentence.

This week I accepted an offer from Penguin to publish my memoir.

The Rules of Inheritance will debut in hardcover in the spring of 2012 through Hudson Street Press, and then again in paperback through Plume a year after that.

I know that some of this may be surprising — I’ve kept completely silent about the process here on my blog, and actually with most of my friends as well. Suffice to say, I’ve been working incredibly hard on this book and I couldn’t be more thrilled or more humbled to have found a home for it. I also can’t thank my dazzling agent Wendy enough for everything she has done.

I cried the other day thinking about how much I want to share this news with my parents, but how I wouldn’t even be writing this book had they not died. I can’t help but feel that they are somewhere right now, smiling at me.

• Rita
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Claire,
    Your parents would have been so proud of you and I am sorry that they are not here to celebrate this moment with you.
    Know that your in-laws are very proud of this accomplishment and are absolutely thrilled and excited for you and all your hard work!! Love to you!

• Joanne
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Holy cow!! Congratulations!!

• Jenna
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Yay! I can’t wait to read it!

• Amy
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Amazing! Can’t wait to buy it!

• Caroline
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

This is such fantastic news! You are seriously one of my favorite writers. I can’t wait to read the book!

• Helen
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Wow! Wow! Congratulations, Claire! You really deserve this. Looking forward to reading the book!

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

What to say…I’m bursting with pride! You deserve it. Awesome.

• Wendy
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Conhratulations Claire! That is amazing news to say the least! Can’t wait to read the book!

• Darrin
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I’m really looking forward to reading the book.

• Bryce
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Oh! Such great news! Congratulations Claire! How sweet it is to hear that you’re going to be a PUBLISHED BOOK AUTHOR!

• Tiffany
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Do your blog readers get advance copies?? :)

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Congratulations, this is spectacular news. I can’t wait to buy a copy.

• Karen
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Wow, congrats! There is no other blogger out there I’d rather see this happen to!

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I stumbled on your blog about a month ago and have really enjoyed everything I’ve read. Delurking to say Congrats!!

• Kerry
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Stupendous news!

• Carroll
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Long-awaited, ever-so-well-deserved, and incredibly smart of that publishing house!!!
    Like Karen said, there’s no one else’s blog on which I would rather read this news.
    Enormous congratulatory hugs from here :-)

• Angela
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

This is super exciting news!
    Keep in mind that while it’s incredibly unfortunate that you can’t share this with the two people who matter most to you, you are getting to share this with a lot of people that you couldn’t have possibly reached if life hadn’t dealt you the hand it did. I, for one, want to thank you for what you choose to share with us – from the beginning of your heartache to your sweet happiness today. It helps some of us more than you could know.
    Well done, Claire! I’m very excited to read it when it comes out.

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

What wonderful wonderful news! Well deserved and I can’t wait to read it. Absolutely fantabulous! Yay you!!!!!

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I am truly so happy for you Claire – this is such big news. Its inspiring to witness someone’s dream comes true. How exciting! I hope you keep us posted on the process – and can’t wait like everyone else to read it.

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Congrats! I found your blog last year and have since gone back and read through the archives. Reading new posts and seeing pictures of your beautiful girl makes my day! Hope your book is available in Australia!

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Oh, Claire! I can’t tell you how happy I am for you. This is such wonderful news! All your work – involving such heartache and joy – has come to fruition and I echo the sentiments of all above. Hugs from (flood-hit) Brisbane.

• Kaye King
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

My cup runneth for you, Claire. I can hardly wait……..

• jill
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Goodness me what lovely lovely news. Well deserved massive congratulations to you Claire.

• Anne
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Congrats! What an exciting step!

• Christine
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Wow Claire! That is awesome! Your story resonates and I’m so happy it’s being published. Keep remembering to get some sleep!

• Aeshna
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Can’t wait to read it!

• Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

OMG OMG OMG..I have been reading your blog for like a long time now but recently shared the link with a close friend and she called me very early sounding so so so so excited, she did not tell me the news, just pestered me to check! Thats what your blog does to people and I am sure the book would be wonderful!
    I cannot wait to read it..yayy :D :D
    Loads of best wishes and I shall pray for a super duper successful launch!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:54 am | Permalink

WOW! CONGRATULATIONS:)
    YOU DESERVE IT!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Rita, this is so sweet. Thank you. And thank you for being such a wonderful mother-in-law!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Thank you!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Yay, thank you!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Yay, thank you!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Aw, thank you!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Oh, thank you so much Liz. Youve long been one of my biggest supporters and I cant tell you how much its meant to me.

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Thank you, Wendy. Pretty wild, huh?

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Crazy, huh?? Thank you so much, Bryce! Remember that day at Tender Greens when you helped convince me to quit my job and just write? :)

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Ha…maybe!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Yay, thank you!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Aw, thats so nice to hear! Thank you!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Yay for delurking! Thank you so much!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I think so too! Thank you!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Yay! Thank you so much!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Me too! And thank you so much for being such a big supporter!

• Tonia
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

I am so excited for you! This is something you have worked so hard for. Your mom and dad would be beeming with pride. They were such wonderful people and would have loved to see you getting published today. CONGRATS! CONGRATS!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! And thank you for being such a big supporter all these years!

• Julia
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Hi Claire! I’m a senior in high school and I’ve been reading your blog since I was a freshman. I was kind of surprised at how emotional I got when I read this post– I sort of feel as if I know you after reading you for so long :) Anyway, I find you to be very inspiring and talented, so to have your efforts pay off in such a big way is really very exciting to hear about.
    I can’t wait till the book comes out and I assure you I will be one of the first to snatch it up. Congratulations!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Oh, thank you so much! It really is a dream come true and Im still trying to wrap my head around it all!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Oh, thank you so very much Kaye! Im so glad we found each other again!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Anne!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Sleep? Whats that? Kidding. Thanks, Ill try!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Yay, thank you!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Oh, thats such a cute story! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Oh, this was really nice to read. Thank you so very much.

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much, Tonia! And um, we need to talk — you actually have a cameo in Chapter 2!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much, Carroll! And thank you for being my biggest fan!!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Oh, thank you so much. Those are such nice words to read.

• Carroll
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hah! Well, after the recent holiday excess, that just might literally be true!

• Carroll
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I’m a little teary after reading all these comments, Claire. So many people who love you and wish you well — friends, family, strangers from afar — and the love you give back with such warm abundance. I hope the publishing process goes well for you. The rest of the world deserves to be touched by your words the way we all have been over the years :-)

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Ha…funny. But I bet its not true.

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Oh, thank you SO much, Carroll. Im a little teary on a regular basis from all of this as well.

• kaye king
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

WOW…..My cup runneth over right now for you, Claire. I can hardly wait to read it…..Congratulations!

• kaye king
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Oops. Sorry for the duplicate.

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Its nice to hear from you more than once! :) Thank you for the kind words.

• Mare
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Your dream came true – Congratulations

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Awesome news! Plus, ever since the story about the gum on the windshield I’ve been wishing I knew more about your mom. Dad too of course but gotta love that woman! :-)Congratulations!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Ha…thanks! Youll definitely hear more about her in the book!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

It really did. Thank you so much!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Claire, I am so thrilled for you! And not one ounce surprised! I knew you’d do it!! Woo hoo!

• Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Ah, thank you so much Tricia! And of course you have a cameo. :)

• Posted January 14, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Congratulations Claire! I was so excited to see this. I can’t wait to hold a copy of the book in my hands (and then read it, obviously!).

• Posted January 14, 2011 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I cant wait to hold the book too! Yee!

• Posted January 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I haven’t been to your blog in a few days (which is rarity for me as I love your blog), so I am late to the party…but a HUGE congrats! I cannot wait to read your book!

• Posted January 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Yay, thank you!!

• Posted January 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I hope so too! Claire is such an incredible writer. I am an Aussie living in the States but will be back home when it comes out. Otherwise I shall have to get my publicist friends to chase it up : ) I have a friend who book reviews for one the largest papers on the country (Sydney Morning Herald) and I will definitely hand it her way.

• Posted January 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Ah, Pia – you’re sweet!

• Posted January 20, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Congratulations!

• Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you!!

One Trackback

• By Claire Bidwell Smith » 2011: Year in Photos on January 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

[...] January of 2011 with so much anticipation, and by the end of the first week I’d received an offer for a book deal from Penguin. It was an absolute dream come true and something I think I’m still in shock [...]