My Obsession With Food

Okay, so over the holiday break I made an entire Flickr album consisting solely of food-related photos. I would LOVE to tell you that I just have too much time on my hands, but these days, that is never the case. I just have an obsession with food.

I've written about this many times over, but it all began with my mother. She went to art school in the 1960s and then moved to Manhattan where she somehow forayed all of her artistic talents into working with food — cooking, catering, working as a food stylist on commercials. Did you even know there was such a thing? A food stylist? Well, there is and my mother was one.

She brought food into the life of our family on a daily basis. She commemorated each occasion, good and bad, with a meal. Cooking was an activity to cut boredom, it was a frenzied passion, it was a simple hobby. It was everything.

It was the thing I missed most about my mother when she was gone. And it became the thing I turned to over and over through the last 13 years, in order to feel close to her.

At least this is how I justify my obsession with food. And my need to make things like an entirely food-related Flickr album, when I could be doing so many more productive things with my time.

Anyway, enjoy!

EAT

Picture 1

• Julie
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

OMG- you are too funny. Loved these!

• Joanne
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Um, that totally made me really hungry.

• Posted January 5, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Wow…you have created and indulged in some scrumptious meals and cocktails over the years. My favorites were your wincing face at your wedding lobster, you cracking up on the stool in Venice, Greg and V with snow mouths, V reaching for spices, you holding V under your neon sign, you putting whip creme in Liz’s face…and of course, icing cupcakes with me. Thanks for always inspiring me to cook!

• Posted January 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Ooh, those are some of my favorites too. Remember how good that icing was that we made?!

• Posted January 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Ha…sorry!

• Posted January 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks! And yes, Im a little insane. At least I can admit it, right?

• Wendy
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Your obsession with food and sharing your recipes has led to some very enjoyable and delicious dinners in our house. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming please!

• Posted January 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Oh, thats so nice to hear!! Thanks!

• Posted January 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Oh yum. I can understand your obsession with food, because I too have one. And it’s nice to know I can indulge that obsession here :)

• Posted January 8, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink