Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata with Cheddar and Feta

Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata with Cheddar and Feta

DSC_0953

A while back I posted a video of Veronica helping me cook, and a few of you asked what we were making. It was a simple quiche, which I make all the time. I also make a lot of frittatas. They are kind of like a crustless quiche and they can be eaten for breakfast or even served for lunch or dinner with a salad. I kind of think they're the perfect food, and they're relatively lowfat as well.

They're so easy to make that I let Veronica help every time.

DSC_0848

Follow the below link for the recipe!

Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata with Cheddar and Feta

Serves 4-6

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 zucchini diced
  • 1 small red onion diced
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste

*Variations: You can make a frittata with anything. I often add chopped spinach or you could toss in mushrooms or tomatoes as well.

*Accompaniments: This frittata is great served with a little salsa and avocado. And Greg loves to douse his in hot sauce.

Begin by dicing the red onion and adding it to the pan with the olive oil. I like to sautee the onion until it begins to carmelize a bit and then I throw in the zucchini. Add in the red pepper flakes and a bit of salt and peper. Stirring occasionally, sautee everything on medium heat until browned and fragrant.

DSC_0777

While the vegetables are cooking beat the eggs in a separate bowl until frothy.

DSC_0808

DSC_0787

When the vegetables are finished, toss them into a greased pie plate and pour the eggs over. Stir loosely.

DSC_0851

DSC_0853

Then add the feta and cheddar.

DSC_0869

DSC_0877

DSC_0881

Give it one more good stir.

DSC_0882

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until the eggs have puffed and the top is browned a bit.

Enjoy!

Find more recipes here.

DSC_0936

• Christy
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Wow, this looks so good! Can’t wait to try.

• Emma
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

YAY! Your back with food receipes, THANK YOU Claire!!

• Abigail
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Yay! So excited! A new recipe to try!

• Aidan
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Mmm, this looks good. And Veronica could not be cuter.

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks! She really loves to help.

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Let me know if you try it!

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I know, its been a while! Greg was just saying this morning that it had been too long. So in the middle of making that frittata this morning, I whipped out the camera and decided to throw together the post.

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Let me know if you do!

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

OK Claire, I came home starving! Saw your post and checked my fridge. Had broccoli slaw from Trader Joe’s, onion, cheese and eggs. So my frittata is in the oven…and I am sipping wine in mouth-watering anticipation. Thanks! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Posted December 21, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Oh also added chopped fresh tomatoes to the broccoli-onion saute…and just came back for my second helping of delicious. Great inspiration!

• Posted December 22, 2010 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Yay! See, thats exactly what I love about frittatas — most of the time you have enough stuff on hand to whip one up without having to go to the store!
    Sent from my iPhone

• Maria
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Oh, this looks perfect! I was just trying to figure out what to make for breakfast Christmas morning and this is definitely going to be it!

• Jorge
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 7:32 am | Permalink

My mom make fritattas all the time when I was a kid. I will try this recipe.

• Posted December 23, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Let me know if you do!

• Posted December 23, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Yay, great! Let me know how it turns out!

• Kathy
    Posted January 3, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

This looks really yummy. I like that it can be for breakfast or dinner.

• Posted January 3, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Yes, that exactly why I love frittatas so much!

• Melissa
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Question: Can this be made ahead of time? If so, do you know how long it would take to cook? Thanks.

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

You know, I wouldn’t really advise making it ahead of time. Letting raw eggs sit like that might be kind of weird. You could definitely make the vegetable/cheese mixture ahead of time and then pour the eggs in at the last minute!

• Melissa
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. I thought about cooking it and reheating, but that would probably make it rubbery. Love your website. Thanks.