Storing Memories

Sometimes I think about how Veronica is never going to remember anything that has happened in her life so far. All these past seventeen months, and even more to come, will be forgotten.

Sure, every moment of them will have an enormous impact on who she is, but the details of it all will remain in the dark. She'll never remember this apartment, or our lovely little neighborhood. She won't remember all the mom groups I've dragged her to, or her best friend Ezra. She won't remember her first Christmas, or the trip we took to New Orleans when she was 8 months old.

She won't remember the baths her daddy gives her each night, or the books we read to her before bed. She won't remember Greg's green Honda (because, god-willing, we will have a new car by the time she is 2). She won't remember how young Greg and I looked when she was born, and she won't remember how every morning when she wakes up, Greg brings her into bed with us and we all cuddle until it's time to get up.

She won't remember the funny animal sounds she makes, or her adorable little rain boots with butterflies on them. She won't remember the weekend she spent in Ohio with her grandparents, or her first time trick-or-treating. And lastly, she won't remember one of my favorite past-times, her attached to my hip, while I prepare a meal.

So I made a video.

• Posted November 3, 2010 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Precious memories…for the 2 of you and Veronica!

• Posted November 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Theanne!

• Posted November 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

This is delightful! And how lucky she is that you have written her life here too. What a gift that will be when she is older.

• Posted November 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Shell probably have TOO much, and not want to read any of it!

• Posted November 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

What a perfect moment! It reminds me that I need to do more videos with my three so they can look back and remember. By the way, that looked delicious, what is it and will you share the recipe?

• Carroll
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Ok, that left me simultaneously smiling and teary. “Good job!”, Claire ;-)
    Is she a lefty, or was she using her dominant hand to hold on to you? Either way, that’s some pretty impressive coordination with the spoon!

• Aeshna
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink

AWESOME! I wish my family had done this for me. My brother made an audio recording of me singing nursery rhymes but this would’ve been even better :)

• Aeshna
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 12:42 am | Permalink

P.S. Claire you are gorgeous!

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink

I love this video. It captures just how utterly natural and gorgeous you are in the kitchen (and everywhere…but I’ve eaten your food so I remain a devoted fan to your culinary expertise). It also will remain Veronica’s first evidence of all the wondrous dishes she’ll make one day, inspired by you and this time on your hip. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Aw, thanks! You and Nora have many happy cooking memories to come too!

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Oh, thats so sweet! I love that you have that.

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Oh, I dont know about THAT, but thank you!

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Good eye, Carroll! She is showing a lot of lefty signs, which makes me really happy — my mom was a lefty!

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Oh, it was just a quiche. I use sheets of puff pastry for the crust, and I generally fill it with sauteed zucchini, onions and spinach. Three eggs, one cup of milk, salt, pepper, crumbled feta and shredded cheddar. Voila!

• Posted November 4, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Yummy! That sounds very good! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Posted November 6, 2010 at 2:52 am | Permalink

How sweet! This reminds me of the small-person aprons my Mum made my brother and I, so we could help her in the kitchen. About a year ago we found Tom’s — it looks as though it was made for a doll!
    She might not remember these moments, but I’m sure they’re doing a good job of instilling in Veronica a love of cooking :)

• Posted November 6, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Aw, thats so cute! Im going to have to make an apron for Veronica. (Or at least have a friend teach me how to make an apron!)