Good Enough Project: Week One

Okay, so I'm serious about this project. Ever since I wrote that first post I've been giving this a lot of thought. The thing is that I'm just not satisfied with the way my life has been unfolding. And I'm determined to do something about it.

Like I said, I feel like I've been on the defense, just barely managing to stay on top of the rolling bolder that is my life. But I want to change that, and I think I can.

For starters, I began writing in my journal again this weekend. No real entries of length, but rather thoughts and ideas for how to go about this. Basically a lot of lists.

Lists of things I want to change.

Lists of ways to change those, which often involve making more lists.

Lists for those things.

Um, so far lists seem kind of key.

One of the main things I've decided to do is make Sundays into a sacrosanct, kind of planning day. And as such, I am going to make a list every Sunday of the things I want to accomplish in the week ahead. So far my list for this week involves everything from finding my cat Reynold's missing collar to being more present to my interactions with friends. It also contains items like "go to one yoga class," and "take one bath."

This tactic actually seems really helpful already. First off, things like finding my cat's collar are one of those items that I forget about every day until I'm lying in bed at night, trying to fall asleep and suddenly remembering, "Arrgh, I forgot to look for Reynold's collar AGAIN today." But if it's on a list that I look at every day, I'm much more apt to actually take 5 minutes and complete the task.

And then items like "go to one yoga class," and "take one bath" are also really helpful because instead of me having this looming I need to start going to yoga again regularly guilt trip hanging over my head, I'm breaking it down into one easy task that doesn't seem so daunting.

I also started on a 100 things list. Kind of inspired by this one. I'm only up to 17 so far, and surprised that I don't have more, which makes me realize how important this list is. Do you have a list like this??

There are lots more ideas swimming around in my head, and I'll continue to scribble them out, and try to make sense of this plan. I'm feeling excited though, and already a little bit rejuvenated.

• Jessica
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I use lists for everything! I haven’t started a life list yet, but I don’t think I could make it through my week without a pretty major to-do list. Good luck!

• Emma
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I am not a list person, but I really need to do what your doing to, so I’m following you in the same way, I have printed out 89 (i think) A4 day pages that I did up in Word till the end of the year to be accountable for every day, and writing notes, and thinking about things and writing it down, I’m a person that has zero rituals, which drives my partner nutty. I got up at 5.40am (instead of 7am confused and stressed) this morning and still feeling good about it, I got 4 things done and made the lunches and ate breakfast which I haven’t done in weeks with my partner. They say it takes 21 days to learn a new habit – so by November we will both be really accountable, it’s my new mantra; “every day till November and then I will be accountable”! As a long time reader I thank you for mentioning this as I have really been feeling the same way in the last 3 weeks. Good luck to us both!

• Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Yay, glad youre going along with me! I like this 21 day thing. I had something similar in mind — that I would really work to get my act together by the end of the year — thats about three months. Congrats on getting so much done today! I was pretty productive myself!

• Posted October 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Im surprised how effective it is already. Youre years ahead of me!

• Wendy
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

I absolutely adore lists and would not get much done without them! I made a list of 30 things to do in my 30’s the week before my 30th birthday. It has been interesting to see how certain entries on the list have evolved. One was to direct a play and I wound up as managing artistic of a theater for three years from that one, another was to take a few college classes, this March I will graduate with my RN. I really want to accomplish all of the items on my list before I turn 40, in two weeks I have 4 years left and lots to do. I can’t wait to read all about your latest adventures as you tackle your lists Claire!

• Posted October 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

I love the birthday lists! Maybe I should do 33 things before I turn 33 next year? Ack. 33. But yay, you’re crossing stuff off right and left!

• Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

i would be so completely lost without lists. i make them every day, in lots of different ways, in my head, on post-its, on my iphone, and on listography.com. lists definitely help keep me centered. oh, and i do have a life list, too! i created it while taking this class: mondobeyondo.org i love the effort you’re putting into this. go you!

• Posted October 5, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Ooh, love these two links! Thanks for including them! Im totally going to become a listography nut, I can already tell.

• Posted October 6, 2010 at 4:24 am | Permalink

I am such a fan of lists! A few weeks ago I realised that, in starting to work for myself, I’d somehow forgotten about lists and was wondering why my days were so hectic and I felt like I was getting nothing done. The answer, of course, was lists.
    So I have a master To Do list for each week, and then an ongoing one for things like the cat collar (in my case, it’s cleaning out the worm farm). Have you ever come across TeuxDeux? It’s an electronic list. Might not be your thing (I like actual paper most of the time) but it’s worth a look!

• Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Its true! I feel pretty foolish for not having used them all this time. Theyre already helping enormously. And thanks for the TeuxDeux advice — Ill look into it!

• Tanya
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Claire
    I am hooked and totally fired up by the project – so your quest to make your blog better is working already.
    Read the link to the 100 things list and have started making my own I have 30 so far. My favourite is ‘Learn to make a salad from every country in the world.
    By the way how does Greg feel about all of this? Is he joining the project as well?

• Posted October 6, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Yay, glad youre fired up! I love your salad idea. I need to come up with some more interesting stuff like that. So far mine are all pretty basic — like visiting countries and whatnot. Boring. And to answer your question, Greg is interested but not really involved in the project. I suspect hell reap some benefits from it though!