Weekly Photo (Horner Park Edition)

Veronica, 15 months

We've been going to the park every day lately. Actually, several times a day. But Greg and I keep shaking our heads at each other though and wondering what on earth we are going to do in the winter. Veronica is so active now and it's nearly impossible for any of us to remain cooped up in the house for any length of time. Any suggestions out there? How do you survive a Chicago winter with a toddler?!

To see all the weekly photos, click here.

DSC_7572

Follow the link below for more photos.

DSC_7692

DSC_7744

DSC_7634

See a whole bunch more of these photos on my Flickr account.

• stephanie
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Claire…surviving Winter in Chicago is survivable with a Toddler! We did it for many years and our daughter is now 18! Old Town School of Music Wiggleworm classes are great fun..Science and Industry Museum, Field Museum….all of our great museums! Childrens Museum we waited on a couple years..she got sick so many times after being there! Lincoln Park Conservatory…well these are just a few, so I hope it helps! Oh…Shedd Aquarium..but for a smaller version the Old Town Aquarium…on Wells Street..love it there, and perfect for the little one! Hope I didn’t go on too long here!!

• Posted September 19, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

All GREAT suggestions. Thank you!!

• Carroll
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Snowsuit and boots? Pull her around on a sled??
    I LOVE the “Mommmy, Monkey and V” shot!

• Posted September 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Only problem is that I dont like the cold. :)

• stephanie
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Ohhh…I meant to mention that you can do the museums free…you may or may not know this, but libraries have passes, and I believe either for a week or two..we used to call ahead to see if they had any in, then rush there before someone else got it!! They do not hold,but the chase can be fun!! You will pretty much have at least one or two to choose from by the time you get there! Winter months a little harder. Old Town School also gives scholarships..and many apply so don’t be shy! We got them every year till she was like 12!! Payment was a small fraction which really helped! Hopefully we will have a decent winter!

• Posted September 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Ooh, good to know about the Old Town scholarships! And yes, been planning to take out some museum passes. Thanks for all the great tips!!

• stephanie
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Claire..I took too long to make the Butternut Squash soup that the comments were closed!! Well, I made it, it turned out delicious, and my daughter said it tasted like the same soup we had at Wolfgang Pucks when it was here in the city..so that is a great compliment to you as well!! And it made soo much I could freeze some! Oh, since I am on this post..head over to Montrose Beach if you haven’t yet…a beautiful bird sanctuary there along with the beautiful lakefront..so quiet this time of year! one more then I will stop…North Park Nature Preserve at Pulaski and Bryn Mawr…such beautiful places this time of year…you can go inside the small park building after and see many amazing things including an active bee colony making honey…ok, I am done!! Enjoyed these when my child was small, and still do!

• Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Oh, that is a compliment, thanks! Glad the soup turned out well! And thank you for the suggestions — I will definitely have to check those places out!