ed pills uk

The Cove

I don't usually do things like this on my blog, but I saw the documentary The Cove over the weekend I feel compelled to act in any way that I can.

I'll admit that I didn't really want to watch this film. I knew the following: 1. That it was about dolphin slaughtering and 2. That it won an Oscar. I also knew that Greg was never going to relent until I watched it, even going as far as offering to watch it all over again with me.

I finally relented and, even though it really was a hard film to watch, I'm so glad I did. Knowledge is power, right?

Something has to be done about the situation depicted in this film and frankly I feel pretty baffled about what exactly someone like me can do. The only thing I can think of is to try and encourage as many other people to see it as I can.

So please check out the below trailer and then rent the DVD. You won't be sorry. Not only is this a really important situation to be aware of, but it's just a really well-made movie. If you have seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Kristine Hansen
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Never heard of this movie until now. But you’ve convinced me to check it out!

• Posted August 17, 2010 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Hearing that makes me feel like this whole post was worth it! Let me know what you think!

• Kerrie
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I have lived in Japan for a quarter of my life and I can truly say that most of my Japanese friends were very embarrassed about this or were not aware of it. This is NOT considered a cultural tradition by the majority of modern day Japanese. Saying this, the ‘group mentality’ is still very strong in the culture and one does not ‘speak out’ in any way against ‘tradition’ unless one is prepared to be ostracized. This is what needs to be broken if this tradition is to go the way of other traditions which take humanity backwards (female circumcision being another ‘cultural tradition’ which should not be tolerated).

• Posted August 17, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

This is so interesting. So what do you think can be done to stop this situation?

• Courtney
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Just went to Netflix and added it to my queue. Thanks Claire for the reccomendation=)

• Posted August 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Yay! Glad to hear it!

• Bella
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

My sister watched this movie last month with her husband. It moved her to tears and she cant shake the images from her head. Apparently it was harrowing, but she is recommending everyone watch it for that reason- to raise awareness of whats happening. She lives in Japan with her husband, and she hasn’t spoken to one person who even had a clue this was going on.
    I get very VERY affected by things like this and just cant watch it for that reason (it actually prevents me from sleeping). I applaud you for bringing awareness through your blog Claire. Humans really a lot to answer for sometimes :(
    I just dont know what can be done to at least try and stop this happening?

• Kerrie
    Posted August 18, 2010 at 6:57 am | Permalink

I think the documentary will help. Japanese hate to feel that they are being judged negatively on the global stage. Peer pressure may help…starting with a trickle and hopefully ending with a flood..but that may take awhile…so, yeah, ‘internationally-felt shame’ is the best way, I believe.

• Tarek
    Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:08 am | Permalink

This was pretty upsetting to say the least and Taigi, Japan needed to be called out for this. I guess what else can you do but raise watch it and raise awareness but the people in the country are the now ones who need to step up and make it stop. Damn.

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Word.

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Thats what Im upset about — I just dont know what can be done to stop this. Even beyond the terrible dolphin slaughtering that the film depicted, it also illuminated an incredible amount of corruption on behalf of the Japanese government, and that is what needs to be really addressed in order to make improvement, I think.

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 9:54 am | Permalink

This is good to hear. From now on anytime I meet a Japanese person, Ill have to (gently) inquire as to whether theyve seen the film or heard about the issue.

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Right, all. As my husband, Louie says in the film, “You’re either an activist or an in-acivist.”
    Activism starts with the individual, using the tools available. We now have broad reach, witness the blogs (Thanks Claire)Facebook and Twitter communities that have formed around The Cove and the issues it raises. Pass it on. Volunteer. Do what you can. We don’t need to get violent, just get smart and let the world know.
    Viki Psihoyos

• pony
    Posted August 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

thanks claire. i’ll see it.

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Yay!

• Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for weighing in, Viki! I want so much to help remedy this situation.

• Kerrie
    Posted August 19, 2010 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Claire, you make an excellent point here. The government in Japan needs to step up. But this is the ‘elephant in the room’, and any others who have lived in Japan will agree with me that the Japanese government abides by ‘different’ rules than other developed countries.
    I am Australian, and we have been in diplomatic ‘tension’ with the Japanese for years now about the taking of protected whales in Australian waters.
    As we say in Australia: “We love Japan, but whaling breaks our hearts.”

• Posted August 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I was really shocked with how corrupt the Japanese government came off in The Cove. The exploitation of impoverished countries for positive votes was so disappointing.