Speaking of Sleep

Arianna Huffington is reporting that women are the most sleep-deprived people in the country and has launched a month-long sleep challenge for us gals. Totally interesting but all the same I read the article and simply choked on my coffee (3rd of the day), seeing as I've officially given up on sleep…and sleep-training

Maybe I can skip the sleeping altogether and just learn how to be happy

Happy Tuesday!

• Katie
    Posted January 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Claire- I have come to the conclusion that I will probably get a good night’s sleep in approximately 20 years!! Something to look forward to! HA. Sleep training is not working? I am about to start b/c Aidan is waking me between 2-3 and I have to get up for work at 6- the broken sleep is killing me 🙁 I have to nurse him before work but I was hoping he would wait till at least 5:30 to wake up- so inconsiderate! I’m so tired that I feel like I’m just going through the motions in a zombie like state- sound familiar? The sad part is when they finally start to sleep better in about a year we’ll probably have our second ones!

• Posted January 5, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Ugh, sounds as bad over there as it is here. For the last three nights Ive been straight up co-sleeping just because its the only way we all get sleep. And yeah, Ive pretty much come to the same realization that no one is going to be sleeping for years to come!

• Posted January 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Does swaddling help? or has V outgrown it?

• Posted January 6, 2010 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Shes long outgrown swaddling. And, in fact, it never worked for her in the first place. 🙁

• Posted January 6, 2010 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Since we co-sleep here… sleep training seems near impossible here. I have heard of some moms who say they were able to enforce sleep training while co-sleeping but I just dont see how it would work. Since we are in a 1 bedroom place right now… my 14 month old will continue to co-sleep until we get our 2 bedroom apt next year (when the contract ends here). The fun part… I am due to have a baby in May so we will see just how little sleep I can function off of then.

• Posted January 6, 2010 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Oh boy, co-sleeping while pregnant!! Wow! Im a big fan of co-sleeping. Veronica definitely sleeps best with us. She wont wake up all night long and we all get pretty good sleep. However, I feel pressure to get her to sleep on her own and I do miss sleeping alone with my husband, as well as getting to read in bed before going to sleep. Right now though, its whatever works.

• Posted January 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

We co slept with all of our kids. At one point I was pregnant with the twins and Cam was still sleeping with us. We all slept better together and my kids are all still great sleepers. However, that being said I now have major sleep issues – especially insomnia from working odd hours and nights while going to school. Thanks for posting the info on this sleep challenge. I am definately going to try it.
    BTW, made those eggplant stacks for my family when we were at my parents over New Years and they loved them, including my husband who ate 4 and he claims to HATE eggplant. Thank you for the amazing recipe!

• Posted January 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Oh, wow! Im so excited that you made the eggplant! You have to post a comment on that recipe post so that other readers can see it!
    And let me know how the sleep challenge goes for you!

• Robyn
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

I’m still working on being happy with the little sleep. The night-waking (2-3 times/night) isn’t bothering me so much (I said “not so much” because it DOES bother me), its the not napping that frustrates me most. I think that its because I know that he is so tired, but just won’t go to sleep. He cries (and screams) every time I try to put him down. I’m able to let go of the sleep issue some days and on those days I am a much happier, more relaxed person. I need to just let go of the sleep issue–I think that is what I will work on next. Claire, I too feel the pressure to have Evan sleep in his own bed–it makes things more stressful. I need to let go of that too. How do you do it???

• Posted January 8, 2010 at 8:59 am | Permalink

How do I do what? Were one hot sleep mess over here. Its absurd. I have no advice for you. Were going nowhere fast with it all. 🙁

• Posted November 9, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink