Monday

Going to bed last night, Greg and I both remarked on what a nice weekend it had been — just one of those that was both relaxing and productive.

I spent the vast majority of my Friday writing, which felt really good. I'm actually feeling quite engaged and enthusiastic about my latest book project and it felt good to sit at my desk for hours, working on it. Late Friday afternoon Greg and I worked on the deck, planting flowers and tilling the various pots and planters. Hopefully it won't frost again, even though I already dreamed that it snowed all over our pretty new plants.

The weather was lovely for most of the weekend, balmy and in the 70s. We took walks through the neighborhood, ate outside on patios, went to the movies and finally painted the guest room. I've really loved having a guest room this last year. It's been so much fun to host all of our friends who have come to visit and Greg and I have both been grumbling a bit about turning it into a nursery. But on Saturday we finally took out all the furniture and painted the room.

Old guest room before While I went to work to facilitate my Saturday bereavement group in the morning, Greg taped up the borders and painted primer over the formerly-mauve walls. And when I got home we set to work on turning it into the pretty, buttery yellow it now is. (Don't worry, we used eco-paint, so it was safe for me and baby.)
 Guest Room After
We've decided to leave the bed in the room for a few more weeks since we have a couple of guests coming in May. We're also planning to have the baby sleep in a bassinet with us for the first few weeks or months anyway so there's no rush to build the crib. We did decided yesterday, however, that no matter how much we wanted to keep that bed in there, we just can't. We're now planning to put the bed in storage and buy a futon or pull-out couch for the room instead. That way we can turn it into a full-fledged nursery with plenty of room for the crib, dresser and rocking chair. Sorry guests!

Yesterday we had our third (and final) baby shower, hosted by our friends Hillary and Doug at their condo in Lakeview. This time it was a couples shower and it was so much fun to Guest Room After 2 celebrate baby with all of our Chicago friends. There was lots of yummy food (thanks, Emilie!) and mimosas and little onsies for everyone to decorate with fabric paint. It turns out that this was the first baby shower that every guy there, except Greg, had attended. I think it's such a shame that this tradition still hasn't opened up much into the male realm. I think it's so much more fun to mark the pending arrival of a baby with both parts of a couple and all of their friends.

And now it's Monday again, dreary and drizzly, which I kind of like. I'm off to work and a busy week and I'm looking forward to the sunny, 80 degree days that have been promised for the end of the week.

• Carroll
    Posted April 20, 2009 at 10:34 am | Permalink

As the mother of a hopefully someday father-to-be, I was happy to hear your enthusiasm for this type of shower, Claire — and what a *great* idea to have that collection of personalized onesies! I’m taking notes out here, you bet I am!!

• Christine
    Posted April 20, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I love the pictures you have on the wall, Claire presumably of your mom etc?

• Posted April 20, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Oh, it looks lovely. A buttery yellow for a baby that will certainly know the loveliness of butter in his mama’s fine cuisine. I never knew until I recently started cooking “good food” how much butter is in almost every recipe.
    And the couples-shower idea! I PRAY that my friends (that’s you) remember how much I love this idea too. No more smelling baby food spilled in diapers or fashioning tiny babies out of molding clay. Love it. And so happy to know you are loved all over the country.

• Posted April 20, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I really love the ‘new’ room (I always appreciate that you provide pictures in your blog right at the moments when I’m curious)!! It looks so warm and welcoming! I think this would still work for more possible guests too. And I do agree about the idea of couple-shower (bravo!!). Those showers actually struck me in an interesting way. We don’t have any showers where I am from (S. Korea)-a baby shower or bridal shower. We do have something else, but more like male-centered ceremonies. I thought it was a very special and women-focused idea to celebrate important life-time events step by step. But, for most of showers that I’ve been to didn’t have males if they were rather traditional ones. I’ve thrown a couple of them for the lab members and I had to include ‘guys’ in the lab. They didn’t feel comfortable at first, but they eventually had a lot of fun. I think it is absolutely great to make them-‘boys to men or partners in any sense’ participate since all these events happen with two parties anyway.

• Posted April 22, 2009 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Glad you like the room! Yes, those are photos of my mother on the wall. I have tons of them, but those are a few of my favorites.
    And yes, Amber, all good food has tons of butter and sugar and salt in it. I made my favorite banana bread the other day (I should send you the recipe) and it has a whole STICK of butter in it!

• Posted April 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

What a gorgeous room, I had to laugh at the cat in the “pre nursery” room!

• Posted April 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

We’re doing a couples shower, too. I insisted on it. Sarah’s getting one for just her and the ladies, which her childhood friend has been wanting to throw for her forever. But a couple weeks later we’re doing one for all the boys and couple friends. I’m with you; it deserves to be more of a tradition.