The Big Day

Wow, I can’t believe it’s finally election day. I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life for this day. Maybe I have.

Greg and I got up early and walked over to Horner Park where our voting station was housed. We only had to wait in line for 10 minutes or so. Our ballots were kind of interesting in that beside each candidate’s name there was a broken arrow that you could either fill in or leave blank. I proudly filled in the one next to Barack Obama’s name.

I’ll head to work shortly and then later I’m meeting Greg and a bunch of our friends at a bar near Grant Park to watch everything unfold on television over dinner and drinks. The doors to the rally open at 8:30 and a few of us are going together so it should be pretty fun. I’m so glad that I convinced Greg to go out and not stay home on the couch all night.

Thanks so much for all the pregnancy well wishes. I received so many nice comments and notes. It’s definitely been fun to reveal the news. It’s such an all consuming life change that it’s really just been laughable to not be able to write about it.

I’m feeling pretty good today but last night was kind of a bad night. I’ve found that if I have some juice and eat something right away in the morning I’m fine for half the day. My "morning sickness" seems to come on after lunch though. Anytime between 12 and 2 I start feeling really dreadful, kind of seasick or like I’m coming down with the flu. It hit me hard yesterday and lasted until I went to bed.

From everything I’ve heard and read though, feeling sick is a positive sign that your body is producing all the right hormones. And all accounts report that it shouldn’t last much longer than the first trimester. I’ve already read 5 or 6 pregnancy books, all of which have had varying degrees of helpfulness. My favorite, so far, has been one called Body, Soul and Baby by Tracy Gaudet, M.D.

I tend to lean towards the hippier books and ideas about pregnancy and childbirth and I’m planning to have a natural childbirth, without an epidural and with the help of midwives and a doula, but in a hospital or birthing center. I have four close friends who have all had natural childbirths and so I have lots of inspiration and support to draw from. Also, my local yoga studio, Bloom, offers some really great childbirth and prenatal classes that I’m looking forward to delving into.

I’m a little remiss for pregnant friends though and am hoping to meet some as I go along. Most of my friends who have kids, were all pregnant around the same time 3 and 4 years ago, so I feel a little lonely in my pregnancy. On the other hand, Greg’s mom has been really sweet, calling and emailing often to check in. She’s very excited. And one of my sisters-in-law who found out early on has been helpful too, sending tips and gifts and checking in often.

It’s all pretty wild. Greg and I refer to the baby as the manatee, because according to all the books, that’s pretty much what it looks like right now. And Greg, of course, has been so sweet and thoughtful and helpful. Even when I’ve been teary or cranky or exhausted, he’s been incredibly supportive and patient, all evidence pointing to the wonderful dad he’s going to be.

Well, there’s lots more to say but I must head to work. I can’t wait to tell my kid one day that they were just a baby inside me the day I voted for Barack Obama. Ooh, and that they were there the night that Obama accepted his historic presidency in Grant Park in Chicago.

Don’t forget to vote!

• Emilie
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 9:33 am | Permalink

My heart was pounding SO hard when I cast my vote for Obama. Can’t wait for the rally tonight!

• Posted November 4, 2008 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I am just sick…sitting here in my classroom, kids taking a test, waiting to get off work and vote. The wait is killing me. Have fun at that rally tonight!

• Posted November 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Even all the way over here in Australia everyone in my office is feeling nervous and keeping an eye on the polls!

• Maryanne
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

It’s 11 o’clock on Wednesday morning where I live in Australia. I’ve been watching the news on Fox and CNN and early results indicate that it’s good news for you guys and Barack Obama. I admit I wouldn’t have been nearly as interested if I hadn’t been reading your blog all this time and realising how committed and passionate you are about this election.
    I saw the footage of an empty Grant Park and then footage of people pouring in for a big night of expected celebration and I figured that somewhere in the crowd were Greg, Claire and baby Boose!
    I hope you had a great night soaking up the atmosphere and excitement at this historic event and you’re so lucky to have the rally in you’re own back yard.
    Maryanne

• RzDrms
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

i agree with maryanne. i hope your little CaBoose is enjoying the historic night s/he’s experiencing! and there are NO!WORDS! to thank greg for agreeing to go to grant park tonight with you, just mere steps away from your home, your warmth, such an historic night, one for your (future) books, claire, one for you to commemorate with your fluent words written in english which flow like the waves of the ocean you remember so vividly.
    i sincerely enjoy no blogger’s or person on the internet’s words and love of life like i enjoy yours. continued blessings to you, greg, and baby CaBoose.

• Carroll
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I love knowing that you are right there right this very minute! Every shot they give us of those people at the park I scan the crowd trying to pick you out. GOhhhhhhhhbama!!!!!

• Posted November 4, 2008 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you were feeling thoroughly sick and disgusting through your early pregnancy. As you correctly suppose, this indicates the little bugger has sucessfully hyjacked your body systems for its own ends and put you through misery while it adjusts the default settings. Hopefully, all that settles down so you can have a breathing space before the the aches and pains of structural changes set in as your centre of gravity changes. Then you get to squeeze the little bugger out. Then the little bugger reliquishes its control of your body and hyjacks your life instead.
    All the above will happen, whether it is glorious or tragic will depend on your attitude. And Gregs.
    I have every confidence it will be the best thing that ever happened to you.
    Never before has there been so much riding on an election. Never has there been so much interest and coverage by the world. Despite the huge problems facing the US, there is new hope that they can be overcome. And the biggest reason that the hope exists is not that Obama is a superman that can vanquish all evils and foes. That would be an unrealistic burden, but that the people were willing to embrace change. There the hope lies.
    Enjoy the heady moments.
    Paul

• Kavita
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to you and Greg on your pergnancy and Obama’s victory.
    I am 10 weeks pregnant and our experiences with pregnancy are very similar. All the best!

• Wendy
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Craig and I also chose natural childbirth – we took hypnobirthing classes which I highly recommend. It was like meditating throughout the birth. They teach you to trust your body and the baby because they already know what to do. It was definately in line with a hippier style of childbirth. Of course in my case my son decided to hijack our birth plan, that was the first of many surprises children brought into our life! Best wishes with a healthy pregnancy and delivery.